My interests and activities are broad, but all revolve around the theme of making the world (universe(s)?) a better place. I am an interdisciplinary (or transdisciplinary) researcher working across a wide range of fields in natural and social science, engineering, philosophy, and policy. My primary focus is global catastrophic risk, meaning risk of events that could destroy global human civilization, such as climate change or nuclear war. I also work in astrobiology, which is the study of life in the universe. My research aims to inform major social decisions through careful attention to their impacts on the world and the universe(s), to fundamental ethics principles, and to the people and institutions involved in the decisions.
I am Co-Founder (with Tony Barrett) and Executive Director of the Global Catastrophic Risk Institute. I am also affiliated with the Blue Marble Space Institute of Science and the Cambridge University Centre for the Study of Existential Risk. I live in New York City.
Contact: seth [at] gcrinstitute.org
Other Info: CV * photos * Twitter * Facebook * LinkedIn * Google Scholar * Academia.edu * ResearchGate * SSRN
19 January 2018: New paper, Modeling and interpreting expert disagreement about artificial superintelligence, with Tony Barrett and Roman Yampolskiy, published in Informatica.
Click here for old updates
Some Recent Publications:
* A survey of artificial general intelligence projects for ethics, risk, and policy, GCRI working paper (academic) - see graphic below
* Modeling and interpreting expert disagreement about artificial superintelligence, with Tony Barrett and Roman Yampolskiy, in Informatica (academic)
* Social choice ethics in artificial intelligence, in AI & Society (academic)
* Towards an integrated assessment of global catastrophic risk, with Tony Barrett, in proceedings of colloquium Catastrophic and Existential Risk (academic)
* Liability law for present and future robotics technology, with Trevor White, in book Robot Ethics 2.0 (academic)
* Reconciliation between factions focused on near-term and long-term artificial intelligence, in AI & Society (academic)
Upcoming Conferences & Events:
17-18 April 2018, Cambridge, UK. Cambridge Conference on Catastrophic Risk
16 September 2018, Los Angeles. UCLA/PSAM Global and Existential Risk Workshop
2-6 December 2018, New Orleans. Society for Risk Analysis Annual Meeting
Click here for old events
About this site: This site is kindly hosted by Manoj Thomas. The formatting of this site was adapted from W3C's Starting with HTML + CSS page.Created 15 Jun 2007 * Updated 19 Jan 2018